Skip to main content

First Trimester


First Trimester

I’ve been keeping track and writing a little here and there about my first trimester.  The first thing people always ask me is “are you feeling sick?” and I love to tell them “nope!” I actually felt amazing these past 13 weeks. I felt minimal morning sickness and would dry heave occasionally, and I only threw up once in 13 weeks. I rarely ever felt sick! Some people are amazed at how I wasn’t sick! One thing that I think really helped me was going to the gym as often as I can. I normally do High Fitness, Zumba, HIIT work outs and some circuit training, but I wasn’t allowed to work out for about 10 weeks. So for those weeks I would just work on the elliptical and do some light weights. Once I was allowed back to my normal work outs I felt great! Because I still tried to keep my body active during those 10 weeks, I wasn’t really sore when I went back to my classes. I have gotten quite a few questions on how I have made it to the gym because I guess some ladies are too sick or tired to go, but I have to go. It makes me feel good. I need that sweat, which releases happy endorphins, and I just love to work out, although it doesn’t look like it because I have Thyroid problems, I just quite love the gym! Now, there were some days I was just way too tired to go to the gym and that was fine, I won’t push myself, but I usually feel better once I get my workout in. I was looking forward to the weird pregnancy cravings, and I have had no cravings! Which is so weird! It is totally fine with me though, because once I start eating, I can’t stop. So it is probably best for me that I don’t have any cravings because I wouldn’t be able to stop.

6 weeks March 16 2018

The day I found out I was finally pregnant was a magical day.  I woke up early, showered, and just headed to the clinic without makeup and my hair done for the blood draw. It was snowing. Chris surprised me by showing up as well. I usually stay pretty hydrated and drink close to 100oz of water a day, but since my blood draw was so early I hadn’t drank much water yet, only to take my medicines. The nurse had just the worst time trying to take my blood, it didn’t want to come out! I had to sit there and guzzle down water before any blood came out. The drive home from the clinic I cried. I was so scared. What if it was negative and we spent all this money to end up NOT pregnant? I had not doubted the entire time we were doing IVF until that moment of the blood draw. I went home, laid back in bed with the puppies and read my scriptures. I felt so much better after that. After a while I got up to do some homework. I still didn’t do my makeup yet because no matter what the results were, I was going to cry, a lot. I thought those hours waiting for the phone call were going to take forever, but it really wasn’t that bad at all, I felt some sort of a peace, and I just went about my day just doing my homework like any other day.  I wasn’t expecting a phone call until about the afternoon, but right at noon, my phone rang. The sweet girl said, “Are you with your husband?” I said no and she laughed and said “haha ok I won’t make you wait, ITS POSITIVE.” I WAS PREGNANT! I WAS FINALLY PREGNANT! I started to cry, and laugh. Have you ever been so overjoyed that you cry AND laugh at the same time? We scheduled my next blood draw to make sure things were ok and I asked her if I could have a celebration Diet Pepsi, she laughed and asked the PA and she said as long as it doesn’t cause a relapse I was allowed ONE. ( I’m not allowed to have caffeine until maybe week 9 when we graduate from the fertility clinic and the OB ok’s it.) The first thing I did when we hung up it I sat on the floor with the puppies and just loved on them. I kept crying and laughing and hugging them and screaming “we’re pregnant, we’re finally pregnant” It’s like as if at that moment I found out I was pregnant, I forgot of all the pain and hurt that the years of infertility brought on. It was finally over, and I forgot what it felt like to hurt. I called Chris and we enjoyed the news together. Later that day I took a nap. When Chris came home we went out for a celebration dinner to Olive Garden. I kept thinking in my head the whole time “ I’m pregnant, I’m pregnant, I’m pregnant”
Pregnancy Test Day


So we found out on Friday and I went to work on Monday. Monday was HARD! It was hard to be at work KNOWING I was pregnant and I couldn’t share it with anyone! I mean I could, but I really didn’t want to share anything until week 12, in case of miscarriage. The whole time I sat at work thinking “ I’m pregnant, I’m pregnant, I’m pregnant.” It was so hard.

Pregnancy Symptoms: At this point when I am writing this I am 6 weeks pregnant. When I found out I was pregnant I was officially 4 weeks pregnant, even though the embryo transfer was 10 days prior to that, I don’t know why the female calendar works like that but that’s the way it is. I’ve been officially pregnant for 2 weeks although I am 6 weeks along. I have been feeling great and have had a few symptoms, and I love every single one of them. The very first one I noticed was I was sneezing a ton. I remember my sister Erin saying one time when she was pregnant that she sneezed a lot. I looked it up and it is called pregnancy retinopathy. About 25% women experience it. It’s multiple sneezing within seconds, several times a day. Sometimes I almost pee my pants when I sneeze. I have not thrown up yet, thank goodness! But I have been feeling only a little nauseated. I feel blessed on that part. I’ll have random moments where I’ll start gaging like I am going to throw up. Like I was wiping down the bathroom the other day and I had to have Chris finish it because the smell of the cleaner was going to make me puke and I was gaging. I did it at the gym this morning and once you start gaging there’s no stopping it so I was really hoping no one was looking at me. I’ve been sweating my balls off. I get hot easily, and I sweat in the night. I cranked the heat way down at work and turned a fan on me, and everyone was complaining how cold it was and I was sitting there with a fan in my face.  My boobs are pretty sore. Every night I take my bra off, I wince in pain. I'm always starving. I cannot stay satisfied. It does not take me much to be full, but an hour later I am famished. The second I get hungry it’s not like a “oh I am hungry,” it’s more of my blood sugar is dropping and If I don’t eat now I am going to stab someone. I eat fairly healthy, lots of protein, bars, fruits, veggies, yogurt, but nothing is cutting it and I feel like I may die of starvation.
Now I must make a disclaimer. I LOVE every single one of these pregnancy symptoms. Why? Because I waited years to have them! And it means I am pregnant! Sometimes when I am complaining about a symptom I instantly feel ashamed and feel ungrateful. Chris said I need to stop that, that it’s ok. It’s ok to be miserable because it is all worth it.

7 weeks March 23 2018

We went in for our 7 week ultrasound today. This is all so surreal. It all still didn’t feel real, until the second I heard that heartbeat. There is a heartbeat! Inside of me! There is a baby inside of me! To hear that little heartbeat was one of the most magical sounds I have heard in my life. I looked over to Chris and smiled so big. Tears were streaming down my face. We got to see our little one today on the screen and it is beautiful and perfect. The baby is measuring at 6 weeks and 6 days, the size of a blueberry. I still can’t believe this is all happening. I’ve waited so long for this and I have wanted to be a mom for so long, this happiness is unlike anything I have ever felt.
First Ultrasound

          When I came home from the ultrasound I just did some homework. I went on Facebook and I was watching a video of the song “A Thousand Years” the lyrics go, “One step closer. I have died every day, waiting for you. Darling, don't be afraid, I have loved you for a thousand years. I'll love you for a thousand more.” I lost it over those lyrics, they definitely describe our situation right now, because I truly felt I was dying everyday just waiting for this baby, and I have loved this child for so long. As I was crying it took me back to those times I would cry in pain. Pain of thinking I wasn’t good enough to be a mom, or wondering if the Lord was punishing me or if I had been forgotten. The pain of the failed IUI’s. The pain of when I got off the phone with the financial consultation for IVF. I cried so hard after that phone call thinking it was NEVER going to happen because it was extremely expensive. I was bawling today, but it was tears of joy and happiness. I wish I could go back and tell that girl in pain that it was going to be ok, that the wait will finally be over, and the pain WILL go away.

8 weeks March 30 2018

Today I am 8 weeks pregnant. Is this real life? It doesn’t feel like it. How did I finally beat infertility? How did I become worthy of this blessing? I really don’t know.
I still haven’t thrown up, but I’ve been dry heaving a little bit. Before I got pregnant, and I spent 10 years not pregnant, so for the last 10 years I’ve had people tell me “just wait for morning sickness” and I would tell some “I think I am going to have an easy pregnancy because I have been through so much pain of infertility that Heavenly Father will bless me.” And then they would laugh at me. Guess what? Morning sickness has been a breeze! For real, I will take morning sickness over the pain of infertility any day! I really haven’t been too sick at all. The one thing I am getting tired of is the shots in my ass every morning. I’ve been doing them for the last 2 months and I am TIRED of them let me tell you! Every morning we wake up early, I pull my pants down, and Chris sticks me in the butt with progesterone. About 2 more weeks and we get to stop!
Today the baby is a size of a raspberry and my uterus is the size of an orange. AN ORANGE! That’s kind of  big to keep on hiding! I am definitely at that stage where people probably think “is she fat or pregnant?” and it’s still a secret so I’m definitely just fat. Haha. I can’t wait until the secret is out so I can stop sucking it in and let everything hang out!
8 Weeks Bump


11 Weeks April 23 2018

Wow the first trimester is almost over and I’ve survived!  The first trimester (they say) is always the hardest. I think I am completely past the morning sickness. I’ll be 12 weeks in two days and I’ve still only thrown up once! What a miracle! I rarely, if ever had any nausea and I haven’t felt sick in the last week. I’m still pretty tired and take naps on the regular. I come home from work and I just fall on the couch and I don’t get up until I decide to either go to the gym or bed. Going to the gym has really helped! I feel so much more energy after the gym. Although working out in the morning is a lot easier then working out at night. I’ve started having hiccups and I think it is so cute and I adore them and love every bit of it. I also have crazy vivid dreams! What a strange pregnancy symptom. I wake up thinking that really just happened, that Luke Bryan and I really just played cards together and took a bunch of selfies. I still haven’t had any food cravings! How weird is that?  You hear pregnant women have all these weird cravings and I don’t! Which is fine, because I have ZERO self-control. I have lots of food aversions and eat mostly vegetarian because I don’t really want meat.
We graduated from the fertility clinic at 10 weeks and it was incredibly sad. I cried leaving the office. Our clinic has been such a blessing in our lives. I was in an out of their office (sometimes several times a week) for nearly 4 months. They knew me, and I knew them. I felt comfortable with them. They helped us get pregnant and that is the best thing anyone could ever do for us!

I went to my first OB appointment last week and it was really weird and I felt so out of place. I am not a normal pregnant woman. Do I even fit in? I feel like I don’t. I still feel unworthy to be a mom and have a baby compared to all these other women who can get pregnant naturally. I cried the morning of the appointment because I didn’t want to go to a new place where they didn’t know me. I felt like I was treated like royalty at the fertility clinic. I cried on the drive to the appointment. I wanted to go back to the fertility clinic. I saw the baby and boy has it grown! He/she was moving all over the place! I saw it do a complete flip! I am so excited to start feeling it!! The Dr. let me have caffeine after being 11 weeks sober, and I am also allowed to go back to my work out classes! The second I left the office I went to the gas station and cried over a diet mountain dew. I am considered a high risk pregnancy because of all the work it took me to get here. That’s not exactly what I want to hear, but it makes me feel good that maybe they will take extra good care of me and watch me close.


11 Week Ultrasound

11 Weeks Bump
12 Weeks, Size Of A Lime

12 Weeks Bump


13 weeks April 29 2018

13 weeks! This is crazy. I am going to start every post with, “is this real life?” because it still doesn’t feel real. I haven’t been sick in a while, hallelujah! I also am past the starvation stage and have been back to my normal eating habits and not eating 4 bowls of  Special K cereal before bed. Typically I go to bed at 11. This first trimester I have been going to bed around 9-930 because I just can’t keep my eyes open. I think I might be getting my energy back (hello second trimester!) I only took one nap last week and I have been staying up later. I’ve been going to the gym about 2,3,4 times a week, it really depends on how I am feeling but I am trying to stay as active as possible so I can be healthy and strong. It’s all so great, pregnancy is just wonderful, I truly am blessed. I thank the Lord every day for this miracle and I hope to always always always be grateful, because I know what it’s like to go without.
13 Weeks, this is mostly a food baby, at my brother in law's graduation party


The pets definitely know something is up. Roxy will not leave my side. She is always right by me or on me. I think she will be a perfect little fur-mama to our baby. She has been pooping and peeing on the floor almost every morning! I asked my sister (she’s a vet-tech) if it was because Roxy is getting old and can’t hold it or if she knows there’s a baby. Her response “she’s just being a dick about it” hahaha, so needless to say, this is Roxy’s response to changes happening. The cat has been all over me too! Before, she would keep to herself downstairs and lately she has been upstairs, following me everywhere and sitting near me. That’s three fur-balls constantly following me, all.day.long.



We went to Cabela’s and Chris parked in the Expectant Mothers Parking, and I almost wanted to cry. I’ve always hated those signs, because infertility makes you hate everything and I was so excited that I had waited so long for this.

May 6th, officially in the 2nd trimester

Well, I survived the first trimester and it was absolutely amazing! I still thank the Lord every day for this miracle. I have learned that people will be idiots and say stupid things to you, but you have to let it go. You can’t let anyone ruin your happy time. I’ve waited years for this baby and I have been through a lot of pain to get here and I am trying hard to not be hurt by dumb comments. I think some people really just don’t get the pain of infertility and will always be insensitive. But some people are also extremely nice about it and will give you hugs when you don’t want hugs and buy you all of the food, it’s a balance.  I’ll be 14 weeks in a couple days and I am growing. I keep getting discouraged that I am getting fat, but I have been eating fairly well and not “eating for two” like some women claim. You only need 300 extra calories a day, so I have not been eating too much and I’m not using pregnancy as an excuse to go crazy and eat what I want because I want to be as healthy as possible, with the occasional donut or two. We go to our next OB appointment in about a week and a half and a week after that we will find out the sex of our little babe, (we think it’s boy.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easter and Not Having Friends at Church

I had the privilege of teaching the Easter lesson this Sunday. I taught on the Savoir's last week on earth. I hid Easter eggs all over the room with scpritures on Christ inside them. The girls loved the Easter egg hunt because their parents say they are too old for egg hunts.  Sunday's are hard sometimes. I caught my self crying during sacrament today. well, because I have no friends. About a year ago our Ward was dissolved. I had a lot of friends at church, some who have become my best friends. My good friend Jenni who lives a block away and was really my only friend in the ward, moved across town yesterday. Another family I am friends with is moving as well. Church is the hardest place to make friends. I feel like because I don't have kids, and I'm not a newly wed, I don't fit in with any of the groups. The people my age have a million kids, and the couples without kids are kids themselves and just got married like last week, and no one has really wanted to be my

2016

I have sat and thought a lot about what I am going to say in this post. So much has happened this year, its been rough but it also has been a blessing. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger, right? I learned a lot this year. First of all the biggest thing I learned that I definitely paid for was listening to bad feelings. I learned what true friendship was, and saw the ones who cared and saw the ones who didn't. I learned about priorities and what really is important in life. I learned of death and that death is not the end. I learned patience. Maybe I didn't learn patience but I tolerated patience. I learned and always knew that no matter what happens in life that you and your spouse are all that matters. Lets start off with January. Chris was working at the juvenile detention center 45 minuets away from our house. This was a wonderful job opportunity that we both felt so good about. It started to become rough. He was gone all the time and we never saw each other. He

Treat Yo Self!

I love to pamper myself, on a budget of course. But what girl doesn't? I promise I am in no way high maintenance, hence the fact all my clothes come from Wal Mart, I'm obsessed with guns and I love the outdoors. But there is a side of me who loooooves to get her nails did and spend too much money on all the pretty makeup. My friends own a beauty school here in my town and I get all my beauty services done there, 1, its a really good price and 2, the students need to learn and I am not picky! Plus some of my friends work there and its fun to see them! I also think it might be a problem when the receptionist knows its you on the phone... Since school is destroying my life I haven't been to the salon in forever!! Also, my bestie JP moved away and we would go get our nails done every two weeks. Last week I decided I NEEDED a microderm. Basically, a microderm is someone with a sandpaper machine going over your face with it to get rid of dead skin cells which can result in glowin